Monday, January 9, 2017

Block 1 of the Growing Up QAL

In December, I signed up for Alida's Growing Up QAL, and this month, the fun began! 



This gorgeous rose was designed by Alida at AlidaTweloqDesigns, and isn't it a beauty? She also has a swirly heart, so two designs for January.

This month, the goal is to cut out applique in one piece, fuse it, and sew it with no stops and starts. 



Truly easy! I will admit I was tempted to cut the background away in certain spots, but resisted. 



And glad I didn't give in, because with a bit of trimming on the background, I ended up a rose outline piece.



This is not fused to anything yet, as I'll decide what to do with it at a later date. I want to see how the other blocks go before committing.

Stitching was super easy, with a 1.5 length and width zigzag using invisible thread. On the back, I used Pellon's 541 Wash-n-Gone stabilizer.




Having done a lot of embroidery many years ago, I learned the value of stabilizers. With a bit of trimming around the edge, eventually this one will disappear with washing. More could be trimmed but I'll leave it at that.



So pretty!




There's still to get in on the fun! 

Happy Quilting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting...you just made my day!