Thursday, May 29, 2014

Twinkler Quilt Finished

Here's my stashbuster (more like nickel-buster!) Twinkler quilt!
The pattern is super easy, and is from Claudia's Quilt Shoppe.  I made mine with 5" and 3" squares, just so I could use up those nickels!  Produced a big quilt quickly!  

Each complete star is from the same fabric, but there are at least five different fabrics, all pretty much the same color green.  Yes, I cut those (gasp!).  Just another bunch of fabrics I wanted to use up.

And the quilting?  I freehanded swirls with a hook in the center, then came out to a point to start another swirl. 
The center of the stars got marked with a dot, then using a ruler, stitching went from seam points to the dot, and back out again.  Simple, but effective.

At first, I really didn't like the scrappiness of this quilt, and thought some of the blocks downright ugly.  Quilting it with a dark olive green thread really helped to pull it together.  So now I like it, and I hope a patient at the VA likes it too. 


Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. I love this quilt - I'm going to have to check out the pattern and see what I've got in my scrap drawers - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you quilted this, Susan. I "pinned " your picture for an idea. I don't have a longarm, and I know I could never quilt mine as nice, but I love how you did your stars!

    Vickie in Cleveland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks fabulous! I used 5 inch children's novelty blocks for mine but I used 2.5 inch squares for my points. They do work up fast and make big blocks. After trimming down, mine were 13 1/2 inches if I recall correctly. Sewn up 13 finished. I love your quilt in greens and you quilted it up just right. Bravo! Kathy Aho in MN

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a great quilt of valor - alternate red and blue blocks with the white stars. Love the idea of using bigger pieces - makes life simple!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting...you just made my day!