Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Finally A Post!

Computers are wonderful tools, but when they don't work, it's hard to resist the urge to chuck them!  Mine decided it didn't want to connect to the internet over the last five days.  My other computer connected, but it wouldn't upload the camera's SD card.  Geesh, what's a computer challenged girl to do???

Finally, hubby did come to the rescue, but I'm not convinced the problem is solved.  So, I'm trying to get this post written before I lose my connection again.  Let's get to quilting!

Last week, I finished up the piecing of my scrap flowers, adding the border yesterday.
I'm really happy with how this turned out, after I made a few changes of course!
All through the weekend, the pieced work hung on the design wall, and there were a few spots that bugged me.

See the arrows on the left?  Closeup, they look fine.  But from a distance, the darker greens blended with the teal bud, so it was hard to tell what was in that area.
So, yesterday, out came the seam ripper, and my collection of greens.  Yes, I had to cut into some yardage, as all my other lighter green pieces were gone.  But at least I used them up!

Replacing those three pieces now gives the bud better definition,
even from a distance!
Wish I would have paid attention to this when I first pieced it, but at least it was an easy fix, and well worth it!

Don't be afraid to rip some seams to improve your design.  I know I'd rather have something I'm happy with versus always wishing I'd taken the effort to fix it. 

For a tutorial on piecing this, check out my post, Playing for More Than 15 Minutes.

Happy Quilting!




8 comments:

  1. It's a lovely piece, Susan. My favorite kind of art! You are selective, as well. We overwork our seam rippers. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a striking difference. Well worth ripping the seams and redoing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great. love the fun colors. I will have to check out your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really cool way to use up crumbs, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were right - made a huge difference in this beauty. Guess that means I need to do this too...I would rather let my seam ripper have a nice long rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard recently that one doesn't use a seam ripper, rather it's called reverse sewing. Either way it's the same amount of work.
    In your original work I couldn't really see what you were bothered with. But after your fabric change I understood. It's good you took the time to make the change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece! I thought it looked great in the beginning but after you changed it.....wow! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. this flower is gorgeous!! love it... don't see a link to it anywhere?

    ReplyDelete

I love to talk about quilting, and would love to hear from you!