Sunday, September 28, 2014

Quilt Shows and Fred

It was a quilt show weekend, and Fred, The Fugitive got a Third Place ribbon!

Now, did I take pictures of other quilts?  Just one.  This modern QOV.
I think I was too busy looking for my quilts in this show!

If you'll notice in Fred's picture, Scraplicious Florabunda is hanging just to it's left.  It was competing with Fred in the same category, and failed to place.  Go figure!  Though the comments were very nice on both, I guess I'm disappointed that a commercial pattern beat out an original design. But hey, I'll take a third!

Life as Membership Chair has settled down, as I think I've gotten all three programs figured out as to what each one does.  Took me all week though! I did get some sewing in yesterday, to make one more scrap block.  This is light teal.
I'm working on a pale pink one, then they will be combined with my others,

and those from the other members of my group to make a 
5' x 7' top.  Once quilted, we plan to donate it to the guild.  I'll keep you posted on that one.

And have I started on the Book of the Month quilt?  Sadly, no.  May have to carry that one over to October.  We'll see. Sometimes I can pull things together pretty quickly.

Hope you had a great weekend quilting!

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Quilt Shows and Other Stuff

First, the fun stuff!  Yesterday, I won another basket at my guild meeting, believe it or not, my third!  
Lots of lovely fall fabrics and books.  My cat, Roscoe, is putting his stamp of approval on it!

Also at the meeting, I became a full fledged Member of the Board, in charge of Membership for the next two years. Spent yesterday afternoon processing forms, and have more to do today.  'Tis renewal season, so I'm very busy with paperwork and such, leaving little time to sew.  Darn it!

On Sunday, hubby and I went to a local quilt show.  Though small, there were a couple there that caught my eye.

Love this adorable fish wall hanging made from hexies.  Cool idea!  Then there was this pretty floral table runner also made from hexies.   

Well done!

And this off center log cabin block that when combined, made clamshells.
Really love the quilting she did.  And here's a picture of the the freehand border.
This quilt was big and a crowd favorite!

Two more shows to go to next weekend, one of them being where I have five quilts entered.  Eager to see how Scraplicious Florabunda does.  I'll keep you posted!

Happy Quilting!

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Diamond Chips Finished

Diamond Chips is off the frame!

Quilted on fleece, with one layer of fleece folded over for the binding, I'm calling it a finish!

There are several recent teaser pictures on the quilting, but for a tutorial on the panto, see Tulle, My New Tool, plus this one on it's construction, Diamond Progress.   

Here's more detail quilting pictures.  The in-progress teaser pictures should now make sense.
Ruler work, freehand, and a panto were used on the quilting.

See, a panto doesn't have to be across the whole top.

Hope this inspires you on your next quilting adventure!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014


This baby should have been off the frame days ago.
But no, it's still there.  Instead, I've been huddled on the couch, becoming quite chummy with Mr. Kleenex, Mr. Tylenol, and Mr. Sudafed.  My husband had gone on an overseas business trip, and I'm sure I picked up something when I did his laundry.  And of course, he was fine.  Figures.

Anyway, hoping to get this done today.  It's ready to go with the panto design marked on it, just like the other side. Check out this post on how I transferred the design.

There are a couple local quilt shows over the next two weeks, and I've entered the following into one of them.  Click on the titles for the posts and more pictures.

Random Acts of Blue

 Trio Two

All are going to be judged, though I had second thoughts on Row by Row.  I already know the comments it will receive. But I've no plans to fix the errors!  And on a happy note, Trio Two and Scraplicious Florabunda are going to PIQF in October.  So, I need to get busy, and put labels and sleeves on a few of these quilts.

On an unhappy note, in writing this post, I've discovered that all of my last year's links to Flickr from my Quilt Gallery page are non-existent.  Now I need to spend a day reworking those pages.  Ugh.

Alright, time to get out of the chair, and go finish that quilt!
Have a great day quilting!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WIP and Crayons

Tess has been quiet the last two days, as a class and other commitments have taken up my time.  But when I last left her, this was where she was on Diamond Chips.
Just about halfway done.  To see more about the creation of this quilt, check out this post, Diamond Progress.  This afternoon should see more quilty progress!

Yesterday, I attended another member sponsored quilt class, this time on using crayons on fabric.
These are morning glories colored with regular Crayola crayons on a plain white fabric, then pressed between paper to remove the wax. Unfortunately, I have no art training to have colored these in an awesome manner, but they turned out pretty nice.  I liked this technique because it was fun and easy!  Now, how it will wash up, I don't know.

And today I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  If you haven't checked out this linky party, do so!  There are so many creative posts to check out.  Have fun!

Happy Quilting!